Minimum Requirements For "Ranching?"
- A wide-brimmed hat, one pair of tight pants and $20 boots from a discount
- At least two head of livestock, preferably cattle - one male, one female.
- A new air-conditioned pickup with automatic transmission, power steering
and trailer hitch.
- A gun rack for the rear window of the pickup, big enough to hold a walking
stick and rope.
- Two dogs to ride in the bed of the pickup truck.
- A $40 horse and $300 saddle.
- A gooseneck trailer, small enough to park in front of a cafe.
- A little place to keep the cows, on land too poor to grow crops.
- A spool of barbed wire, three cedar posts and a bale of prairie hay to
haul around in the truck all day.
- Credit at the bank.
- Credit at the feed store.
- Credit from your father-in-law.
- A good neighbor to feed the dogs and cattle whenever the owner is out in
Colorado fishing or hunting.
- A pair of silver spurs to wear to barbecues.
- A rubber cushion to sit on for four hours at the auction ring every Thursday.
- A second-hand car for going out to feed the cows when your son-in-law borrows
- A good pocket knife, suitable for whittling to pass away the time at the
- A good wife who won't get upset when you walk across the living room carpet
with manure on your boots.
- A good wife who will believe you when you come in at 11 p.m., saying "I've
been fixing the fence."
- A good wife with a good full-time job at the courthouse.